8.11.2011

Still Small Voice


I had the most eye opening slash terrifying slash shaking experience on Tuesday.

It was about 5:25 and I was on I-15 northbound for Salt Lake. I had a viola lesson at 6 and I knew I'd make it in plenty of time. I was alone in my little white car with one of Stetson's CD's blaring from my speakers driving in the middle lane. I had just passed the point of the mountain when I spotted one of the new 2011 Jeep Commanders in the carpool lane. If you know me, I have an obsession with Jeeps. My dream car is a black four door Jeep Rubicon. But that's beside the point. I spot this new beautiful black Commander and fix my eyes on it. I'm coming up on it, but still behind as I admire this car. I'm noticing the detail and loving the color when BAM. 

"Abby, move over."

The words were crystal clear, as if there were someone in my passenger seat next to me. It startled me and so without question, I signaled, checked over my right shoulder and moved into the right lane. As I did this, I looked out to my left again at that black car and as I did, I could tell something wrong. The man that was driving had his back to me and his whole body was flailing. Within seconds of my lane change, that black Jeep was drifting into the shoulder. I watched as it hit the barrier and skidded across all 5 lanes of traffic. It slammed into the barrier on the right and again crossed through traffic. I watched as it hit the left barrier again and did a complete 180, skidding through traffic again and finally crashing into and stopping next to the barrier on the right, somehow hitting no one and causing no damage to any other vehicles.

As I watched in horror as this accident unfolded in my rear view mirror, I was instantly sick to my stomach, shaking, and with tears streaming, unable to let go of my steering wheel. For the next half an hour as I finished the drive to Sugarhouse, I replayed the accident over and over in my head as in slow motion I pictured that Jeep flying across lanes of traffic. I remembered that voice, clear as glass, and had to stop myself from wondering. What if I hadn't moved over? Would I have been right in his line of uncontrolled disarray? 

I said a silent prayer and thanked my Heavenly Father for my blessings and for keeping me safe. I can't begin to imagine the damage that could have been done. I had angels watching over me. I'm grateful for the spirit and for the still small voice that rang in my ear. 

God lives. I know that He does.


-Abigail.

2 comments:

Jesse and Laur said...

...wow. Abbs. I'm so grateful you're okay.

stephanie hammer said...

Ya I agree with Lauren. I'm so haPpy you're okay! That's an amazing experience.. :)