8.07.2011

The Church Is True.


The church is true, folks. That's all there is to it. 


Grandma Richards had heart surgery on Monday. The doctors were hopeful that everything would go smoothly because of the way that she takes care of her body and the good shape that she was in. She had told me that everything was going to be okay, and I couldn't help but believe her. I was worried, surgery is a big deal, but I believed that everything would be okay. 

That is, until everything went wrong. 

No thanks to her heart completely stopping shortly into her surgery, much unexpected bleeding, several extra hours of surgery, and blood that wouldn't clot, I almost lost my sweet Grandmother several times. My parents came home from the hospital very late Monday night expecting a phone call any time. Dad told me he thought she had, at most, a 10% chance of making it. 

There is not a worse feeling in the world than knowing you might lose someone you love, being that close to death and being able to do nothing. I couldn't picture my life without her and couldn't picture my Grandpa without his eternal companion by his side. 

For over 48 hours, her chest was open and she was considered in critical condition. I prayed harder than I ever prayed before and I begged my Heavenly Father not to take her. Not yet. I know that similar prayers were being uttered by everyone in my family, and my some small miracle, our prayers were answered. By Wednesday evening, the doctors were able to control the bleeding and close her up. Her blood is clotting and she has made a complete turn around.

As I stood by her bedside tonight, holding her soft beautiful hands that I love so much, she smiled at me and whispered "I love you, darling girl." I am so grateful for more time, more days, more months, and more years of hearing those words.

The church is true, my friends. There were angels smiling upon the Richards family this week. I know that the Lord steadied that doctors hand and enabled him to stay awake and focused through the many hours of surgery. I know that He strengthened my Grandma to be the tough cookie that she is and pull through. I know that He heard our prayers and He answered them. Not without more than a scare or two, or three or four, but He answered them and for the I am grateful. In my most recent letter from B, he said "God knows all of us and He loves all of us. He is aware of the things going on in our lives and knows exactly how to help." And gosh, that couldn't be more true. I am grateful for eternal families and for the knowledge that we have, but am also grateful for this extra time I get to spend on this earth with my sweet Grandma. I am so blessed.

God loves me! And He loves each of you.
His Gospel is so true.

-Abigail

2 comments:

Jesse and Laur said...

It's fine that I'm crying.

Emily Sue said...

So happy that everything worked out. Love you abs!